Improvisation Evaluation

When starting Improvisation I thought it was only a way of choreographing material and not a dance form itself, this has changed dramatically as I have been taught multiple techniques into the improvisation that cannot be used to choreograph but another way to perform. The readings that we have been assigned each week have influenced this change because each time I learn something new, which proves Improvs ability to be a performance in its self.

Improvisation has expanded my range as a performer as it has opened up a completely different way of performing due to a score, it has given me the ability to experiment with movement in a way I was never able to.

I think that comparing improvisation to choreography can be very contradictory, on one hand, we have improvisation as a way of creating a set of movements and turning it into something whereas on the other hand, we have improvisation as a way of choreographing in the moment and leaving it behind once the performance is over. I think when it comes to the pair they are constantly in connection with each other, I personally feel that you cannot have choreography without Improvisation and the other way around.

Making sense of situations that have arisen in the moment has been an ongoing struggle during this module. Sometimes the answer has been very clear and been able to move away from a situation, whereas sometimes especially when creating relationships with other dancers, sometimes it has been easier to move away from a situation than attempt to be involved in it.

The thing that as mainly informed my decisions when composing has been the things and people around me, I have attempted to always be finding new ways of experimenting with other people and the space I am performing in.

I feel that the phrase ‘being in the moment’ means focusing all your attention on the improvisation at hand, be that a relationship you are experimenting or just an entire score. I think it comes to a point where you are that deep into the improvisation that you forget about ur surroundings to an extent and everything becomes a lot clearer.

Improvisation helps to expand the dancer’s ability to move more freely because it breaks down the uncomfortableness of creating our own work, for me personally I used to get anxious about showing things I had created or improvised but since starting this module, It has become a lot more easy to just dance in front of anyone at any time as that feeling of judgement in a studio environment is gone because as dancers we are constantly experimenting with different ideas and I think this has been agreed unconsciously between us all.